The more you market your eBook, the bigger your bank account will grow!
With the advent of the Amazon Kindle and other eReaders and the ability to sell eBooks through Amazon, iTunes and other online marketplaces, more and more people are thinking about publishing eBooks.
Of course, writing and uploading the eBook is only the first step. In order to make your eBook a success, you need to market it.
Put these marketing tips into practice to up your eBook sales.
Consider Offering Your eBook for Free
Depending on where you are selling your eBook, you might be able to offer it for free for a limited period of time.
While it might seem counter-intuitive, a free eBook can bring you extra sales. Firstly, you benefit from word of mouth as those who have read it for free can recommend your book to paying readers.
Secondly, a free eBook will get a boost in uptake, which can push you up the sales rankings so that more people see your eBook when they browse. Make sure to check the terms of your agreement before you do this – for example, the Kindle Select program allows this option, but it means your eBook is exclusive to Amazon, cutting in on your opportunities to reach a bigger audience by distributing it elsewhere as well.
Build Up a Portfolio of Work and Cross-Promote it
One of the best things you can do to generate sales for your eBook is to write another one. More books equals a greater chance that someone will notice your work. When they enjoy one of your publications they will likely seek out others, getting you two sales for the marketing cost of one ebook!
Make it easy for your readers by placing hyperlinks in the back of your eBooks that point to where they can buy your other works.
Know Your Niche
An eBook on mosquitoes probably won’t get much of a marketing boost from your efforts plugging it on a general interest blog, but if you can find a forum for entomologists you will likely be much more successful.
Always target your marketing to your likely audience – you will likely get a much better return on your investment than a scatter-gun approach.
Network, Network, Network (Socially)
Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, blogging – these are constantly touted as must-haves for any online marketing pursuit. That’s the case for a reason; you need to reach out to potential readers and let them know what you have to offer. It’s as true for marketing y0ur eBook as it is for anything else, so don’t neglect it.
The rise of eBooks allows you an unprecedented level of control over your work, putting you in the driving seat of your writing career.
However, this also places the responsibility of marketing squarely on your shoulders. A little bit of attention to marketing your ebook can help you make writing a successful career.
Related Posts: 17 Free Business eBooks to Build Your Brand
6 websites you MUST use to market your ebook quickly and easily.
1. kdp.amazon.com (Kindle Direct Publishing) allows you to self-publish your books and make them available on Kindle, iPad, iPhone, Android, Blackberry, Mac, and PC.
2. Free-Ebooks.net is the internet’s #1 source for free eBook downloads, eBook resources & eBook authors. Read & download eBooks for Free: anytime!
3. GetFreeEbooks.com is a free ebooks site where you can download totally free legal ebooks, available in various popular formats.
4. DocStoc.com is an electronic document repository and online store, aimed at the business community. Users can upload, share and sell their own documents, or purchase professional documents written in-house.
5. Scribd.com is a Web 2.0 based document-sharing website which allows users to post documents of various formats, and embed them into a web page using its iPaper format.
6. Lulu.com lets you make, self-publish, print & sell print-on-demand books, eBooks, photo books & calendars.
Do you think this has helped you learn how to market your eBook?
Join the discussion by leaving a comment below and please spread the word by sharing this post with your friends.